After the adrenalin rush of celebrating Brennan’s birthday eve with dumpster diving and a late night swim at Lily’s pool and hot tub, I’m reflecting today on his story interconnected with ours. He’s one of us now—with all of its good, bad and ugly- and I’m so glad he is! Here’s what I love about Brennan.
1) He’s funny. Literally, other than his wife, none of the rest of us can pull off a timely joke successfully.
2) He’s responsible. From the first conversation about driving Robyn places to his get up everyday work ethic, he does what he needs to do.
3) He’s resourceful. From Goodwill super shopping to dumpster diving and metal detecting, he repurposes things better than anyone else I know.
4) He’s creative. In so many ways—like crafting candles from soy wax and pringles cans and making Robyn’s ring out of gold he found metal detecting.
5) He’s a gentle soul. His voice is soothing. He’s sensitive and his manner makes you feel safe when you’re with him.
6) He’s fun. He just is. If he’s around, everything’s better.
7) He cares about God’s creation. From picking up turtles and helping them cross the street to tending trees he grows from cuttings or seeds, he honors what he’s been assigned to steward.
8) He’s sincere in His faith. In all of its highs and lows and its moments of clarity and confusion, he loves Jesus.
9) He loves going to the beach like I do, which makes him a kindred spirit.
10) He’s teachable. He reads, ask questions, takes classes or watches Youtube videos to learn important stuff he wants to know and understand.
11) He’s versatile and flexible. He enjoys lots of things. He’s good at a wide variety of tasks.
12) He’s cool. His vibe is eclectic but he and Robyn are definitely the coolest people in our family.
13) He’s nice. Everybody likes Brennan. He talks to them and treats them kindly.
14) He repairs relational conflict. Brennan gives and receives forgiveness and moves forward.
15) He is a man of integrity. He tries to live honestly and be trustworthy in his personal choices even when it costs him.
16) He’s financially responsible beyond his years.
17) He’s totally Robyn’s match. I think I could see it from the very beginning and I love that he loves her so well.
18) He likes good music and shares it with me.
19) He’s adventurous. I appreciate how he embraces my crazy ideas.
20) He wants to hike at as many national parks as he can and so do I.
21) He gets excited about finding a great deal or getting things free.
I always wanted a son and maybe someday, there’ll be 4, but today, I’m really grateful for Brennan. He makes my life sweeter and it’s an honor to be his second mom.